Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Small Gestures

     A long, long time ago when I attended high school for its excellent social atmosphere and academics were easy and less important, I was kind of a mess of not knowing what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go or maybe even who I wanted to be. There was something I did know: My counselor at the time, Dr. Brown, was not going to give me a psychological compatibility test that would show me the type of man I should look for as a husband. As a 9th grader, I was mortified, and if high school was going to prep me for boyfriends and marriage, I wanted nothing to do with it. Luckily some of my friends recommended I just go see their counselor, Mrs. Paluch, and so I did.
   
     Rosie took me under her wing and gave me some sense of purpose by suggesting we start a peer mentoring program and recommending me for Anytown, U.S.A., a leadership camp focused on diversity. One time Rosie even took me to a reading at A.S.U.--Adrienne Rich! These were all valuable experiences in my life, and I could not be more grateful to Rosie for seeing something in me that maybe I couldn't see at the time, for caring about me. At a basic level, she saw me.
   
     While I currently work with adults, I try to remember that teachers can help and inspire people of any age. I try and see strengths in my students and recommend books or documentaries or the Honors Program here at GCC. Doing so is my way of giving back and honoring the teachers and mentors who aided me along my way. Rosie was  a true gift to me in high school. I don't know how many Dr. Brown orphans she adopted, but I often feel gratitude that even though it may have meant a greater workload for her--and I know that now--she never said anything about that. She gave her time, so my experience was better. I hope I have done and can continue to do the same for my own students.

“Seek opportunities to show you care. 
The smallest gestures often make the biggest difference.” 
John Wooden

4 comments:

  1. "Teachers can help and inspire people of any age": A powerful reminder! Often education is seen through the lens of age, but the only real prerequisite is having a mind that is willing to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Seriously? OMG this post definitely shows your age. Although I wonder if counselors still do that today. Can you imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. God. Rosie Paluch was my high school counsellor, too. I was one of her Peer Counselors after she sent me to Anytown, USA. I arrived at the school where she worked during my junior year after my parents divorce pulled me out of my first high school. I was displaced and depressed and she was the most real person on campus as far as I was concerned. Because like you say, she saw me at a pretty basic level. She is one of my favorite humans.

    ReplyDelete